Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Riding the Wind

The rain stopped mid-morning. Winds picked up, but mild temperatures remained. The three girls and I explored our yard, as if it were new terrain, a magnifying glass clutched in each of our hands. We spied a ladybug (though she sadly expired before Mitzi could capture her for further observation). Small green shoots are rising from the ground where I planted bulbs last fall. Though I can't remember what they are (crocuses, daffodils, tulips, among others, I seem to recall), seeing them heartened me, thrilled the girls. Spring is on the way. The trio chased each other, arms outstretched, palms up, smiles wide, circling the lawn, riding the heavy gusts of wind. In my mind's eyes, my little girls could rise, fly, coast to the horizon where anything is possible.

We spent a lot of time outside today, breathing, noticing changes within as well as without. Joanna can now climb the big-kid ladder of the swing set; Ellie maneuvered the monkey bars as easily as her brother does. Today, I'm reminded of the truth of time's passage. I'm sure we'll see at least one more storm before this winter finishes with us, but today I saw the future, in more ways than one. And I liked what I saw.

No comments: